Tuesday, January 19, 2016

the mom with the crying child




Congratulations! 

You have a child that goes to dance or soccer or whatever activity! 

I have a child that is crying on the steps, clinging to my body, as if I am throwing her into a beehive.



I beg for her to show the new move she has been practicing to the teacher! 

I listen as the teachers assistant informs everyone that my daughter cries like this every week. 

I sit on the side, pleading with her to just go for a minute and reassure her that I won't leave.

I hear the comments from a mom, who probably just wants class to start, that their child loves to be here. 


I want to cry with my daughter but I don't, at least not until I am in the car. 

I even bribe her with a reward if she will stay. 

I glance over and see you, watching your little girl learn to leap and smiling back at you. 

I look at my daughter, who is sobbing at this point. 

I try to show her how much fun her friends are having in dance but she can't even look.

I feel her heart racing and see the fear in her eyes.

"What if I do it wrong?" "What if they laugh at me?" 

Those questions are probably just some of the many things going through her little mind, or the mind of a child with social phobia

How would I know that? Because my daughter is mini-me! 



I know the fear of not being good enough.
I know the hurt when people laugh but you weren't trying to be funny. 
I understand how she can be one kid at home and a completely different kid in public. 

 I also know the feeling of regret that comes with holding yourself back from everything.
And I understand how much I let myself miss out on. 


So, I'm going to keep dragging her into dance class. 
And listening to the whispers and watch the eye rolling. 
Because I know that she is great. 
And I can't wait for the day that you find out too!


1 comment:

  1. So sorry I absolutely know what you're going through. I have one of those myself only hers didn't begin until she was 7 and it mostly happens at church. I wish the primary presidency would stop asking what's wrong or trying to fix it...I know that they mean well but it's like saying "your child's crying is making me feel uncomfortable and I need it to stop"...when I just want to tell my daughter that it's ok, that I don't mind if it's hard for her, I'm not embarrassed by her, I know what it's like to cry without even understanding why! I wish you all the best with this difficult time but know that some of us aren't the whispering parent...we are on your side and totally get it!

    ReplyDelete