Thursday, November 21, 2013

A runners wife

So, it was a little over 5 years ago that I set out on a journey to run a half marathon. My husband was very supportive of me. He gave me time away from our, then one, child to train. As the half marathon approached, he laughed the entire time telling me how crazy I was to be running for that long.

Well, little did he know that the following year I would be great with child and he would be the one running the very same half marathon. But of course, he had to "one-up" me. We all know a person or two who is what I lovingly call a "one-upper". They are the ones who always have something better or greater to add to whatever you just said, did, etc. Anyway, he one-upped me the following year by running a full marathon.

Here we are just a few year later and he has continued to love this running thing. I keep having babies and taking time off. But his desire just increases and because he is a little bit competitive he also keeps getting faster and faster. He's not breaking any world records or winning any races, people, he's just beating his own records. I admire his desire, however as a woman in full blown child-bearing mode it's a little rough on the self esteem. If you don't know what I mean, go ahead a Google what a marathon runner looks like.

Photo courtesy Zazoosh
The scale is not my friend, the mirror is not my friend and being naked is definitely not my friend. None of these things are his fault. Unless, you consider that he is half the reason I have gained 30+ lbs a few times. But I did gain some awesome yet challenging kids along with the weight. And it's not like I have kept all the weight on . I sit here with 10 lbs to lose. I have completed 60 days of the Insanity workout and lost 1 lb! I'm not posting my success story here for that one! I even went to the doctor to have my thyroid tested because I was desperate to have some reason I couldn't be losing weight. Turns out as the doctor so nicely pointed out, my thyroid is fine,  I'm just over 30. Ugh! I guess that I better start working out to lose weight instead of working out so I can eat.

And so my journey begins. Eat better and run my guts out. I just signed up for a race series to keep my motivation up. A new race every couple weeks. Sounds like I'm still the crazy one after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment